chevron

9.09.2010

A Wedding and a Cookout

This weekend we were able to spend time with Ryan’s parents on Friday, see a friend off to Costa Rica, and be back in Cincinnati for a few days to celebrate a wedding, and enjoy a cookout with friends.  What a gorgeous weekend! 

P7233031

I was reminded this weekend of God’s faithfulness in the midst of the small chaos that is our life right now.  Years ago in college I had the opportunity to spend a summer in France doing ministry with Agape (Campus Crusade for Christ in France), and it forever changed my life.  I hate to sound dramatic here (even though Ryan would smile and say I am usually dramatic :) ), but there was one moment in particular when I felt that God spoke to my heart and forever changed my view of God’s love for the world. (I even remember where I was sitting, what I was reading, and the time of day…)  Somehow, even just for that one moment a lot of things made sense, and I knew God was calling me to something.

I know that Ryan has had similar experiences in his life as well.  After spending time reading through scripture over and over, listening to the advice of others and lots and lots of prayer, it’s becoming more clear that right now, New Zealand is that something.

How faithful is God to plant that small seed five years ago, and carry through today.  Through school, exams, graduation, jobs, student loans, marriage, moving, friends, family – all of it, God’s desire is greater.  I know that a life can’t necessarily be built on a “feeling” in a “moment”, but I am thankful for that moment of clarity.  And even more than that moment I am thankful to be able to look back on God’s faithfulness over the past five years.

There have been a lot of hard days lately as everything starts to become more concrete.  Friends and family, as much as they love us, don’t always understand.  Packing up and selling our stuff, giving away our beloved cat, saying goodbye to a paycheck, etc…  But it has caused us to rely more and more on the Lord, which is an awesome thing, even when it’s hard and I honestly just don’t want to.  I know that God is faithful, and it makes me glad that we will know that more and more over the coming months.

Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
      How unsearchable his judgments,
      and his paths beyond tracing out!
"Who has known the mind of the Lord?
      Or who has been his counselor?"
"Who has ever given to God,
      that God should repay him?"
For from him and through him and to him are all things.
      To him be the glory forever! Amen.

Romans 11:33-36

 

Sorry this didn’t end up being much about a wedding or a cookout :)

No comments:

Post a Comment