chevron

5.26.2011

Home is where the heart is.







(via etsy)

I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately. We have been in New Zealand now almost 6 months and we get asked a lot how we are doing "settling in" and "how much we miss home". Both are very legitimate questions and I am thankful that people care enough to ask :)

I just never really know how to answer! Of course part of me will always miss home. I miss our family, sitting by the fire, watching movies, eating :), laughing, and our friends. There is a good chance we won't be back "home" for another year and half, so does that make us homeless? What makes a home?

I was telling a friend the other day, I think back to living in Indianapolis and I miss it a lot, but I also know if we went back it wouldn't be the same. I would be restless and would be scared to death that I would be stuck in that comfortable life for, well, the rest of my life. I think about living in Wellington and it still feels strange sometimes, but then I travel for a few days and want to come back home to Wellington. So I don't know, "home" seems so relative. Some days I'm so grateful for the adventure and other days I just want to be comfortable and in our own home.

It's just amazing really, when you are forced to adapt to something new, you really can! Wellington is our new home, at least for the time being, and it is starting to feel like a home as well. I was out of town this past week up in Auckland and I actually wanted to come back home...to our flat in Wellington. I feel like that has to say something! And let me tell you, our flat is nothing spectacular. It's pretty basic, but gets the job done, most of the time... There are so many things that I would use to describe "home"...comfortable, clean, decorated, full of our stuff, family and friends. Our flat isn't really any of those things, but, this is where we are for now, together, so it is home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment